Sefa Mawuli, CFP®
Managing Partner and Financial Planner
I help globally-minded professionals and people with cross-border ties to organize their finances to meet their life goals. I also have extensive experience working with professionals who receive equity compensation (RSUs, RS, ISOs, NQSOs).
My passion for financial planning grew from my own experience of not finding adequate financial advice:
- as a busy corporate professional and new US immigrant navigating the US financial system
- as I transitioned from student visa to H1B to green card, then to naturalized citizen
- as I navigated employer-granted equity compensation, home purchase, entrepreneurial pursuits in the US and abroad
- as I sorted through taxes and other administrative details when I moved abroad with my young family
- as I budget for regular and necessary international trips that aren’t exactly cheap
- as I plan for retirement which may or may not happen in the US, and save for my kids who may or may not go to college in the US…
…you get it.
My practice approach is hands-on and ongoing. I act as a personal CFO: working closely with my clients to manage their overall financial lives – and the various life events that pop up.
I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ and fee-only financial adviser because I learned the hard way that to get real financial advice that serves your best interest, your adviser should be compensated by only you (no commissions or incentives from insurance companies or brokerages).
Originally from West Africa, I have lived in Papua New Guinea, England and New Zealand. I manage a bilingual (French/English) household with my spouse, Mike and our two children. When I’m not financial planning or volunteering at my kids’ activities, you’ll find me running on the roads and trails around the Washington DC area or checking out a music venue.
If you’re seeking a long-term partnership with a comprehensive financial planner who can guide you through all aspects of your financial life in the US and wherever life may take you, send me a note and we’ll figure out if we’re a mutual fit.